It’s my two big con weekends. This weekend I have Planet Comic Con in Kansas City, MO and then the next weekend I have Wizard World St Louis. Aside from Super Con at the Superman Celebration and any small comic shows I may do locally, this is pretty much it for me and cons, this year. So, I’m pretty excited about two weekends of nerdy goodness.
The decision to go to Planet Comic Con was fairly last minute, and I’m amazed we managed to pull it off successfully. But, my mom and I have a weird amount of skill in handling last minute trips fairly well.
So, why the random journey?
Simple answer: My mom wanted to meet Jason Momoa.
Before I say anything, I will immediately give Wizard World STL credit for one thing:
This was definitely an improvement on several of my disappointments from last year, specifically:
- The celebrity guests were better organized, like they used to be, and not in some weird maze of tables in the middle of the room.
- There were considerably more vendors – of comics, as well as a variety of others. This was a pretty big deal to me, last year. I was on a mission to buy comics, and only had a handful of vendors to choose from.
So, bravo for that, WW! Thank you for making that aspect more enjoyable.
For the last month, roughly, I’ve been an exceptionally busy gal on the weekend. Between the first weekend of February until the first weekend of March, I’ve been at some sort of con every other weekend:
- Wizard World St Louis
- Planet Comic Con (in Kansas City)
- STL Comics Winter One-Day
HOLY EXHAUSTION, BATMAN! My poor wallet hurts.
However, it was a pretty fun to have so many, so close together, to compare how different they felt. Different levels and experiences, etc. So, while I plan to post about each one individually, I’d like to take a moment to compare the three.
My first adventure to Canada was great, and I absolutely loved Fan Expo.
This is a reoccurring reminder every time I go shopping before any trip.
You have a trip coming up.
Yup. I do. So, tell me, how’d I go to buy some jeans for my trip, and end up with all this?
Okay. Let’s reason, a bit, here:
There was a sale at All the Rage comics (which I need to do a proper post on, sometime), where everything I bought was either 50% or 25% off. So, the three comics toward the bottom were 50%. Then the 1986 trade paperback of The Dark Knight Returns was 25% off, and I ended up paying less than $10 for it. Then that copy of Metal was 25% off, and I’d been wanting that particular cover. Decent and fairly inexpensive haul, there.
The Lil Gotham issues were $2.99 at V-stock, and actually came with a second issue behind each one. So I walked away with issues #1-4, plus my mom bought them for me. So, zero spent on those four issues.
I needed to buy a small purse, and planned to make this purchase, because I don’t want to haul my con bag around outside of the con itself. I mainly just needed a place to shove a few items in that zips. So, I went into Hot Topic to have a look. They were having a sale: if you bought any bag, if you put anything into the bag, you’d get 25% off the bag AND the item. So, the Tiffany Pop! from Bride of Chucky got shoved into the Harley bag. I left paying less for both than I would have for just the bag, itself. SCORE!
I did get my jeans and other miscellaneous clothing items I needed for my trip. But the point was showing that I could still make a haul like the one above, save a bunch of money, and still be ready for a con that is now ONE WEEK AND ONE DAY AWAY! Whoa. I should finish packing…
The Comic Book Stor-Folio is a handy dandy little box that opens up for you to slide comics into, either to carry around in your normal life or shop trips, or for cons. I was wanting one of these bad boys for a while, and just before Wizard World St Louis, I decided to order one to give it a proper go.
IT WAS AMAZING!
My first time out with it, it was for the con. It fit perfectly into my new con bag, and it’s super light (well, when it’s empty), so it isn’t like I’m hauling around some heavy duty thing. Enough junk has to get stuffed into my con bag as it is, so light was definitely a plus.
This was really beneficial to me in two ways:
- Putting fancier books into the Stor-Folio to protect them a little more, even if they were already bagged and boarded.
- Putting things that aren’t bagged and boarded, like a decent haul from a 15 for $10 booth, in for protection, so they didn’t get all banged up and destroyed in my bag.
The Stor-Folio can hold around 15 current or silver age books, and has this fancy little slot on the front, where you can put in some art to make it look cooler, or store an extra comic. I’d like to put some nifty art in there, myself. Just need to decide on something.
Anyway, I’ve obviously used this for con, but I’ve taken it to shops a few times so I can store my books in my bag and know they’re well protected. It’ll probably go with me the next time I go to New York or anywhere similar, where I go into a lot of shops.
This little baby is currently full of books that are heading to FanExpo Canada with me in roughly three weeks. I’m so excited! Expect a post on my packing progress within the next few weeks.
This is it, folks! Nearly a month away from my first trip to Canada, and my first time at Fan Expo. Here’s what’s new:
- Flight – BOOKED! I arrive Thursday, return Sunday. It’s all fancy and official. Which leads to…
- I’ve figured out my transportation to the hotel from the airport, and vice versa.
- MY FREAKING PASSPORT FINALLY CAME IN! Which, you know, was pretty vital for this adventure.
- I have tickets to the con! I went with the Premium Package, because it comes with some exciting goodies:
PREMIUM PACKAGE INCLUDES THE DELUXE FAN EXPO PASS, PLUS:
• Admission to all 4 days of FAN EXPO CANADA™
• Access to Special Preview on Thursday at 2pm
• Exclusive Priority Access into buildings
• Exclusive Premium Lounge Access
• Limited Edition FAN EXPO CANADA™ Premium Badge
• Exclusive FAN EXPO CANADA™ Bag
• Exclusive Comic from Major Publisher
• Limited Edition Superhero Lithograph
• Exclusive Collectible
• Limited Edition FAN EXPO CANADA™ T-Shirt
• Limited Edition Show Program
• Exclusive Pre-Sale for Celebrity Photo Ops
• Exclusive Pre-Sale on Select Events
• Exclusive Ticket Counter
• Free SINGLE DAY General Admission pass (excluding Saturdays)
to ALL FUTURE FAN EXPO HQ events until, but not including,
FAN EXPO CANADA™ 2018.
So, yeah. Here we go, guys. Next month, we pack and head north!
That is the question. There’s always a debate whenever I’m talking to people about conventions, specifically Wizard World, whether or not a VIP ticket to a specific celebrity is worth it instead of general admission tickets. This is a great topic of discussion, really, because it honestly is up to you.