We have encountered a major problem within the community of geekery. My fellow nerds and my fandoms were once a safe escape from the rest of the world. When the jerks of the world were making it hard to get through the day, I could turn to my fictional escapes, and to my friends – online and in real life – that shared the same passions. I could turn to Instagram or Twitter or wherever. I remember being excited for new adaptations of comics or books or games, whatever, just because I had a new version of something I cared about to enjoy.
But things have been going downhill for a while now, and not just for me.
Universal Orlando just released our first look at Fluffy, part of their new Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure ride. It’ll be replacing the Dragon Challenge at Islands of Adventure.
I decided to ask my followers on Instagram (@angelyoung13 for anyone interested) to suggest some favorites they’d like to know. So, here were some of my top favorites I was asked for:
The last two weekends, I’ve wanted to do some mini trips to comic shops, etc. And, the last two weekends, the weather has decided to snow a ton and keep me cooped up in the house.
Disclaimer: Until confirmed by the company, these remain rumors. You can read the original post on Attraction Magazine’s site.
Everyone is on edge (heh), waiting for Galaxy’s Edge to open up this year. Personally, I’m dying to go, and can’t wait until the time comes I can finally plan my return to Disney World and devote a few days to immersing myself in one of my favorite fandoms. You can bet I’ll be decked out in all my Star Wars gear and ready to completely geek out.
My very first trip to Canada went a lot smoother than I had anticipated. For some reason, I imagined quite a few hiccups and setbacks for a solo trip: forgetting some vital thing for travel, getting lost trying to find my gate, having some issue in customs because I haven’t been through anything like that since I went to the Bahamas when I was 13 and 15, both times my mom was there to take care of everything. Needless to say, when my mom and brother dropped me off at the airport, I was a bit nervous.
However, breaking in my passport on my own was an interesting experience. There was a blend of anxiety from just being by myself, and also a strange sort of relaxation from it. By the time I arrived in Canada, got my phone working, made it through customs and had my money exchanged – I felt like I had the hardest part of the trip over. I made my way to the train with ease, boarded and stowed my luggage, and took the peaceful 25 minute trip from the airport to Union Station – just across from my hotel.
The Fairmont York Hotel in Toronto
This is it, folks! Nearly a month away from my first trip to Canada, and my first time at Fan Expo. Here’s what’s new:
- Flight – BOOKED! I arrive Thursday, return Sunday. It’s all fancy and official. Which leads to…
- I’ve figured out my transportation to the hotel from the airport, and vice versa.
- MY FREAKING PASSPORT FINALLY CAME IN! Which, you know, was pretty vital for this adventure.
- I have tickets to the con! I went with the Premium Package, because it comes with some exciting goodies:
PREMIUM PACKAGE INCLUDES THE DELUXE FAN EXPO PASS, PLUS:
• Admission to all 4 days of FAN EXPO CANADA™
• Access to Special Preview on Thursday at 2pm
• Exclusive Priority Access into buildings
• Exclusive Premium Lounge Access
• Limited Edition FAN EXPO CANADA™ Premium Badge
• Exclusive FAN EXPO CANADA™ Bag
• Exclusive Comic from Major Publisher
• Limited Edition Superhero Lithograph
• Exclusive Collectible
• Limited Edition FAN EXPO CANADA™ T-Shirt
• Limited Edition Show Program
• Exclusive Pre-Sale for Celebrity Photo Ops
• Exclusive Pre-Sale on Select Events
• Exclusive Ticket Counter
• Free SINGLE DAY General Admission pass (excluding Saturdays)
to ALL FUTURE FAN EXPO HQ events until, but not including,
FAN EXPO CANADA™ 2018.
So, yeah. Here we go, guys. Next month, we pack and head north!