It’s been a rough time trying to plan out some farther from home adventures, a big part of it being the struggle with chronic illness and trying to function like normal. Hence why there wasn’t a trip to the Superman Celebration this year, and instead a trip to the hospital.
BUT! Fear not.
I’m planning a trip. A proper trip. Finally.
We’re heading into a new year, and with it, I’m steadily working on plans to make it a great year for Wandering NerdGirl. This is a rough idea of how I aim to approach next year, and there is always room to add or remove things.
My very first trip to Canada went a lot smoother than I had anticipated. For some reason, I imagined quite a few hiccups and setbacks for a solo trip: forgetting some vital thing for travel, getting lost trying to find my gate, having some issue in customs because I haven’t been through anything like that since I went to the Bahamas when I was 13 and 15, both times my mom was there to take care of everything. Needless to say, when my mom and brother dropped me off at the airport, I was a bit nervous.
However, breaking in my passport on my own was an interesting experience. There was a blend of anxiety from just being by myself, and also a strange sort of relaxation from it. By the time I arrived in Canada, got my phone working, made it through customs and had my money exchanged – I felt like I had the hardest part of the trip over. I made my way to the train with ease, boarded and stowed my luggage, and took the peaceful 25 minute trip from the airport to Union Station – just across from my hotel.
The Fairmont York Hotel in Toronto
This is it, folks! Nearly a month away from my first trip to Canada, and my first time at Fan Expo. Here’s what’s new:
- Flight – BOOKED! I arrive Thursday, return Sunday. It’s all fancy and official. Which leads to…
- I’ve figured out my transportation to the hotel from the airport, and vice versa.
- MY FREAKING PASSPORT FINALLY CAME IN! Which, you know, was pretty vital for this adventure.
- I have tickets to the con! I went with the Premium Package, because it comes with some exciting goodies:
PREMIUM PACKAGE INCLUDES THE DELUXE FAN EXPO PASS, PLUS:
• Admission to all 4 days of FAN EXPO CANADA™
• Access to Special Preview on Thursday at 2pm
• Exclusive Priority Access into buildings
• Exclusive Premium Lounge Access
• Limited Edition FAN EXPO CANADA™ Premium Badge
• Exclusive FAN EXPO CANADA™ Bag
• Exclusive Comic from Major Publisher
• Limited Edition Superhero Lithograph
• Exclusive Collectible
• Limited Edition FAN EXPO CANADA™ T-Shirt
• Limited Edition Show Program
• Exclusive Pre-Sale for Celebrity Photo Ops
• Exclusive Pre-Sale on Select Events
• Exclusive Ticket Counter
• Free SINGLE DAY General Admission pass (excluding Saturdays)
to ALL FUTURE FAN EXPO HQ events until, but not including,
FAN EXPO CANADA™ 2018.
So, yeah. Here we go, guys. Next month, we pack and head north!
After a week of exciting guest announcements, I’m getting really anxious for my trip. Here’s the guests announced so far:
Next year begins a grand adventure, with my very first trip to Canada! I’ve been wanting to go to Fan Expo Toronto a few years now, and I’ve finally decided to go for it next year. While the con is definitely my main purpose while I’m there, I’m hoping to see a few things in Toronto if I can, and possibly stretch my trip a bit to visit a few other areas in Canada. One particular place being a comic shop in Windsor I’ve been dying to see.
This is one of my bigger trips, and definitely one I need to be strategic about financially to pull off. I’ve already began the good old change jars for spending money. I need to do some extra shoots, sell some art work, maybe have a yard sale or two, just to help cushion my wallet a bit over the next year. But, I’ll make it happen, and keep updating on the progress as I go over the next several months.
Stay tuned for more the next few weeks, including more on Halloween Horror Nights this year!